Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Internship Details

The company in Dublin I'll be interning at is called Common Ground. The basic mission of this non-profit organization is to spread fine art to the community and prove the positive ramifications that can come from art. They believe that art can play a central role in transforming and empowering communities. They work closely with professional artists and bring them together with their communities. Take a look at their website (linked above.) It's a really nicely done website, and an organization that I think will help me learn more about the real fine art world, and get to the nitty-gritty of the real Dublin.

My part in this organization (as far as I understand so far) will be the digital documentation of their events. They hold festivals, book signings, gallery openings, drug treatment fairs, celebrations in the community, etc. I'll also be helping with the basic organization of these events. Of course, I'm not there yet, and haven't actually had my interviews with the organization, but as of now that's what I understand I'll be up to in about a week and a half. :)

I was nervous about this placement at first. After my initial interviews with IEP and EUSA, I thought I would be more in the design phase of events like this. It made me a little nervous when my placement turned out to be different than I expected, but the more I read about Common Ground and think about how much this is connected to what I've learned and discussed in three years of art school, I'm excited to see everything I've learned and studied put into play. I will be able to see the real art world at work, while learning about and exploring the culture of another country.

No comments: