Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June 21

Just another manic Monday. Got up and went to work. Didn't meet Siobhan at the office today, we met in Rialto (a little closer than the office in Inchicore) and went to the St Andrews Community Centre. This is where studio 468 is located, a big project of Common Ground's. The book we are launching on Thursday is all about studio 468. 16 artists completed residencies at studio 468 over eight years, and the book is filled with images of the work they made and their stories of how it was to stay and work with studio 468.

(St Andrew's Community Centre.)

Anyways, we met there and had a meeting with Logan and Chris (By the way, I think it's weird they were named Logan AND Chris... yeah it kinda freaked me out.) Anyways, we planned more about the launch. Then Siobhan and I went grocery shopping to by snacks for the launch. We bought still water, sparkling water, crisps, and peanuts, etc.

(The parking garage in the grocery store.)

Then we headed back to the office and got some work done there for a few hours. At work I had been working on typing up 26 pages of artist's bios. I finished a Friday, and today we printed them all on cardstock and Siobhan had me exacto-ing A4 sized pieces of foamcore and spray mounting all the bios. There were 26 of them. Needlesstosay that took me the rest of the day.

(Exacto-ing.)

(Lunch break.)

(Hello creature, who isn't in correct focus.)

(Honeysuckle in Ireland.)

(Finishing mounting after lunch.)

(They seemed neverending.)

After work, I went back home and got there around 6:30. Changed and hung out with Megan for a bit. Julie, Kim, Jenny, Megan and I all made chicken nuggets and fries. Then Maggie and Mandy came over too and together we all planned the rest of the week (after work hangouts) adn the weekend. We all brought travel books and maps and marked every spot in Dublin we still want to see, and all the places outside of the city, too. Then we tried to bunch them together and plan days. Haha. I think we have a pretty good system going.

(The luas was PACKED on the way home.)

(Fries, deodorant, and tin foil. Ya know... the essentials.)

(I guess something funny happened.)

(The planning meeting.)

(Nice Jenny.)

Anyways, that was today.

I'm certainly setting into a routine here. It is starting to feel less and less like a trip/vacation, and more like home. Like normal. Like... I get asked for directions all the time, cause I know where I'm going now and I walk more confidently. I can still never answer their questions, haha, but ya know.

I'm starting to get homesick though... I miss David, and I miss my family, and my friends, and having a normal shower with good smelling shampoo, and having roomates (it gets too quiet and lonely here at night), I miss campus, and I definitely... definitely.. miss the food. Whatever I eat here, whatever it is, always makes me sick. Like nauseous. I haven't tossed my cookies yet but I may, haha. I love it here, I really do, but I love Richmond too.

3 comments:

Karen said...

We really, really miss you too Rachel but it sounds like the experience of a lifetime and that you are having so much fun! I'm so proud of how you've found your way around so quickly and made so many new friends. Also, you are fitting in so well and so quickly at work. I can't wait until you and your friends can really start to visit more of the Ireland sights and then see some of your photography. I know it will be amazing. Good luck with everything and keep having fun!!! Love ya. MOM

Anonymous said...

Rach, We miss you too!!!! Hang in there! You are doing a great job! Maybe the nauseous feeling is from drinking too much Guiness!!! ~Les

Kathryn said...

okay, so I'm SLOWLY getting caught up after not being home for a week. man...you write a lot! it sounds like you've been having an excellent time there :) keep working hard and enjoy the time you get to explore the country.